CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I live in Bedford ohio I own a 3 family home. I have had

Customer Question

I live in Bedford ohio I own a 3 family home. I have had no tenants in the 2 apartments in 5 years. I have one main water line coming into my house. but my city charges me every month for 3 minimum water charges. I want to know if its illegal to charge me for somethingim not using ok ready for this I pay $145.17 every month if I pay the bill before the 15th of the month if I pay after that I pay 152.43 I need some help pls im on a fixed income and cannot afford to keep paying this
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
You are being charged for the access to the water supply (this is why you are being charged for the 3 separate lines.As this is a public supply line, contact the water district directly and request an application for financial hardship/relief. The fact that you are not using two of the three lines may be taken into account. (They may permit you to disconnect 2 of the lines, but be cautious with this possible route as disconnecting water lines often has unintended consequences as in many jurisdictions the property will be deemed "uninhabitable" and this can affect your insurance rates and other issues - as you live in one of the units, I would advise caution prior to taking this course of action, an application for financial hardship is a much safer route).