Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

I'm renting a house in putnam county new york

Customer Question

Type Your Question Here...
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
You did not type a question for us on this thread, but you can send one as a reply to this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm renting a house in putnam county new york and it's an odd situation, all the utilities are in my name. The owner lives in another state and i've never met him. I'm technically renting from one of their family members. We have no contract and never have had one. I've been here for 2 years so far. I do not believe the house is in foreclosure yet. Since we have no contract can I be kicked out? If I refuse to leave how long will I have before I get evicted. I've taken care of this house for 2 years. I'd like to purchase the house and I'd like the house to be offered to me first but that seems to be out of the question. Since I've taken care of the house, heated it, kept pipes from freezing etc, does this give me any leverage as to obtaining the house?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this website automated or what
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
HERE IS YOUR ANSWER. I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DELAY. You asked:
Since I've taken care of the house, heated it, kept pipes from freezing etc, does this give me any leverage as to obtaining the house?
ANSWER: No, that will not give you any special consideration in buying the home. Your advantage, if any is that you are in possession and are in a position to find out if the owner wants to sell it and avoid foreclosure. If you do negotiate a purchase, be sure to use an attorney to assist you. There are many risks in buying distressed property these days. If the home is lost through foreclosure, without a lease, you can expect 90 days notice to vacate after a sheriff sale. If you have cash ready to bid at the sale, then you can also purchase the home that way. Be sure to use a local attorney for that too.
I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This didn't help me at all, very delayed. I'd like a refund. Also it says I get a free trial but my account was already charged. If I have to verify with another attorney anyway why would I pay for this type of consultation