Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Signed a six month lease (and was charged a premium

Customer Question

Signed a six month lease (and was charged a premium for short lease duration - 1 year: $1795, 6 months I had to pay $1870). Now six months have expired and I would like a couple of months to look for another place in a relaxed fashion.
Not having renewed the lease, I was of the understanding in Burlingame California 94010 that I would continue paying the same rent ($1870). However, now the landlord wants me to pay $2020 month-to-month and has given me some other lease options. (8% over 6 months?) Rent has been on-time if that matters.
What are my options?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Once lease ends, it continues at same rental amount as in lease on a month to month basis. Landlord can only raise rent on 30 day notice in writing in advance of raising it. You can reject an increase in writing which was not done in this manner.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if that is clear and acceptable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

We haven't heard from you regarding your lease end, 5/30/15 and your lease renewal decision starting 5/1. Enclosed is our lease options sent to you two months ago. Please pick one. Three are included for you to pick for your first page of the lease, then please sign where pick tabs are located and drop in the rent box as soon as possible. ...

I have been super busy and just assumed that the same rent would be charged.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
They can only raise it on 30 day advance notice. If you dont want to accept the raise you may reject/move; or negotiate; or accept.