Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

Mylandload has not paid his coop fees in a year and a half

Customer Question

mylandload has not paid his coop fees in a year and a half and now does not fix anything but demands payment what do i do
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. If I may ask, have you stopped paying him at this point? Or are you just contemplating it? In what state are you located in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he asked for for some $ a few days ago before rent said he was broke i gave him 50$ ,az just woundering do i need to find a place i guess they tried to send certified letter but he told me he wont except a cert letter
Do you owe him more money at this time? I am just trying to understand if someone is pushing for an eviction against you at this point, or if you are thinking of no longer paying rents. Please advise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i owe him $400 ,no evicition yet but I always pay my rent but now iam past due on rent what to do just gave him some money ,just still wont fix nothing ,no repares ,no recipt ,just bad thing keep giving him money but he pays water if complex shuts off what to do
My apologies to your on your situation. Since I am not your attorney, I cannot tell you what to do, but I will explain what your obligations are. Under law his failure to pay his debts DOES NOT in any way excuse your obligation to pay rent. Therefore if you wish to remain on the property and live there, you need to pay rent. You CAN threaten, in writing, that he must make repairs or you will take him to landlord-tenant court for damages (and if you go that route you can start setting aside payments into escrow until the issue is resolved), but you still have a duty to pay until the courts denote otherwise. Sincerely, ***** ***** PS. if the complex shuts off the water you can likewise take him to court for damages and compel the landlord to make the premises 'habitable' for you and your family.