Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

I signed a lease agreement on December 5, 2014. I gave him a security

Customer Question

I signed a lease agreement on December 5, 2014. I gave him a security deposit of $1,100.00 The lease was to start on August 1, 2015 and end July 25, 2016. On February 7, 2015, I notified the landlord that I was no longer able to move in due to family problems. (I'm a student and couldn't afford it due to my father losing his job) I also sent the landlord qualified applicants in an attempt to help him. By February 17, 2015 the landlord had signed a new lease with someone else, who I sent and took a deposit. He also rented another unit from my referral. When I asked for my security deposit, he stated that he will only be giving me half because he should be compensated for showing the apartment.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
That's baloney. He suffered no damage whatsoever, and you should get 100% of your security deposit back. He's taking advantage of the fact that you have to sue him to get the money back, and it will cost you time and money to do that. You will have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages. Perhaps he'll take $100 for his time, which would be plenty.