Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

DUE TO TENANT COMPLAINT, THE CITY HAS DECLARED MY APARTMENT

Customer Question

DUE TO TENANT COMPLAINT, THE CITY HAS DECLARED MY APARTMENT ILLEGAL. I IN HERITED THIS PROPERTY. MY PARENTS RENTED IT FOR 20 YEARS. IS IT NOW ILLEGAL?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Yes, I am afraid that it is now illegal. It is irrelevant if in the past it was rented, if today the property is somehow seen as violating local municipal ordinances, the municipality is free to deny you the ability to rent it out. To make it legal again you would need to follow instructions from the municipality and repair the concerns, deal with zoning, and request a review. But until that occurs the property can be barred from being legally rented to third parties. Sincerely, ***** *****