Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am renting a RV lot park model I own. The RV park

Customer Question

I am renting a RV lot for the park model I own. The RV park changed ownership hands Jan.1, 2015. I was at time also an employee of the park. Previous to park sale I had an hourly incentive attached to employment to off set lot rent. When the park changed hands I immediately requested information about how i was to pay lot rent. No formal answer was given. Two month later they terminated my employment. Again I asked how lot rent was to be paid. I received answer that corporate would send me cert. letter with info. I recieved cert. letter from corporate in the form of a 5 day notice to pay rent.They are demanding me to pay in full.They said that the total yearly due was due on Jan.1. I have no formal rental or lease agreement signed. What is my recourse? How can they demand almost $4,000 dollars in 5 days? Can I be evicted?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You are only obligated to pay the normal rate that you were paying to the previous ownership since you asked for information on new rate from the new ownership and you were ignored. Yes, you can be evicted for not paying rent. However, the new ownership must go through the Court system in order to evict you. You would be served the Summons and a copy of the complaint so that you can file an answer and tell the Court why you should not be evicted. You should be ready to tender to the Court the total amount of rent that would be due--this is the amount that you would have paid under old ownership. You are not responsible for paying a new amount IF the new ownership did not give you at least 30-day notice of your new monthly lot rent.