CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

What is the % rate that I can increase the rent on a singe

Customer Question

What is the % rate that I can increase the rent on a singe three bedroom home in greenhaven. I have not raised the rent since they moved in 1999. Currently the rent is $1500 a month. I pay $100 a month for pool service and city of Sac utilities ($149 mo).
Thank you for your service.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I raise rent yearly?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
In California, once the initial lease term has ended, you can raise rent as often as you like. Most landlords tend to raise rent annually, and do so in minor increments, trying to keep the rent consistent with the market (use rental guides for comparative homes as estimates, and make a deduction for the value of keeping a tenant in place (both a "known element" and eliminating the cost of turnover and vacancy expenses). For the law on rent increases - notice requirements, etc. use this link for the California Attorney General: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/lt-2.shtml