Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

Can a lease be signed in NYC by only one owner of a property

Customer Question

Can a lease be signed in NYC by only one owner of a property if the property is owned by two people and one of them has not been able to see the lease and sign it or meet the renters even after requesting the other owner to comply? Would the lease be valid?While planning to send my question in to be answered I just found out that this couple has already moved into the house. What legal action can be taken at this point? Can they be evicted?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer is 'yes', legally speaking ANY owner of a property can execute a lease without the permission of the other owners. However any revenue for the rent would still have to be split in proportion between the owners. Furthermore if the rent agreement is undervalued as per the current market value, the other owner could sue the first owner for damages and losses from the profit (yes, even one spouse can sue another). The lease would still be valid, and all owners would be bound by the conditions. The other owner could argue loss and sue the first owner for damages, but he would generally be barred from being able to evict. I am sorry about that! Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you

You are most welcome, and please take care!