barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Not sure if I need to lawyer up or not? I am a tenant on

Customer Question

Hi, not sure if I need to lawyer up or not? I am a tenant on a year lease. I let my neice stay here for a few months tell she gets on her feet. After 4 good months and after an argument she moved out, leaving some of her things. I have asked for the key back and she still has not givin it back. I told her she can call to make arraignments to pick her stuff up. It's not her stuff I am worried about, it's my keys. I read that I can not change the locks and that I can be put in trouble with my apartment landlords. Not sure about anything. Very upset because it's family. Also do not want to fight at all. Only way is by not talking to them. They just want trouble for me.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, My name is ***** ***** I will do what I can to help..This is what I would suggest... contact the landlord and tell them that you lost your keys to the dwelling and are worried about someone finding them and entering the property. Then tell them that you will pay for the cost of having the locks changed. Then you can send niece a certified letter to her last known address telling her that you are terminating the "bailment" that was created when she left her personal property there and she has 10 days to come and get it or you will consider it abandoned and dispose of it. I would also send her notice through any other means of communication I had, (i.e. text, email, phone, etc.) so you have done everything you can to notify her. Then if she doesn't make arrangements to pick up her stuff, you can dispose of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I read that I can't change the locks. Her boyfriends mother is a lawyer. I did talk to one of the girls in the leasing office and told her my neice was staying for a little while and should I have her on lease , she said should be if someone is staying longer than 10 days they should be on lease, but we did not notice. I read sometimes landlords turn on tenants and go with the guest, sorry I am just so upset.
As a landlord myself for over 26 years, if I have a good tenant with a problem guest, I will help the tenant, not the guest..But if the landlord thinks that someone may have your keys and could possibly gain access and damage the property, they should readily agree to just change the locks at your expense. Takes about 20 minutes to change a lock and deadbolt...2 screws on each...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
😉😃 thank you, ***** ***** a little better, I will go to my leasing office.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time.....thanks Barrister