Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Last year my landlord agreed to allow me to do habitability

Customer Question

Last year my landlord agreed to allow me to do habitability repairs. I did the labor on the mobile home I rent (and hoped to purchase) in California. The cost was budgeted at 11k, I purchased materials then invoiced and have received full reimbursement. A new property manager took over a few months ago and is now claiming I was contracting without a license by taking more than $500 for repairs and has me worried that I have committed a crime. What is the law?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Any owner or tenant may make repairs to their residence without a contractors license. However, depending on the repairs being made certain inspections may be necessary to ensure they are within and up to "Code"
For example, if you are making any electric repairs, you may be required to have a licensed electrician make them and then the city would need to come and inspect them.