Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Due to a divorce my partner sold his 40 acre plot to a farmer

Customer Question

Due to a divorce my partner sold his 40 acre plot to a farmer friend. Their understanding was that my partner would purchase 15 acres back for $240k when he was reestablished. In the meantime the farmer verbally agreed to rent the 15 acres to my partner for $1400.00/mo. There is a landing strip for my partners airplanes that had been established for over 20 years prior to this event as my partner had owned the property and settled it, building the air strip and planting trees over the years he owned it. Verbal agreement, farmer promised to not drive on or disrupt the property during the rental phase.
The purchase was to close within a month. The farmer has recently repeatedly driven a combine over the strip and is now plowing under areas to place drain tile. He has had the contractor dig up the strip and the entry ways from the pole shed hangar which prohibits any egress or entering with the planes.
My partner had several conversations with the farmer who denies any wrongdoing. Now he is more than upset that my partner has canceled the purchase offer.
Is their any legal action my partner should be aware of that he can pursue or that the farmer non-friend can pursue? My partner has found alternate housing because his 15 acres has been destroyed and is no longer a viable landing strip as was the original agreement.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello, did they have an agreement in writing that was violated or purely orally?