barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Can a landlord re-rent an apartment in Missouri while the

Can a landlord re-rent an apartment in Missouri while the lease rent is paid by the original renter? Is double dipping against the law in Missouri?
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
It isn't a violation of the law, but it would serve to terminate the tenant's obligation to pay any further rent if they wanted out of their lease or it would give them grounds to sue the landlord for an illegal eviction if they wanted their tenancy to continue.
.
This is because a tenant has a right to "exclusive use and possession" of the dwelling as long as their lease continues. If the landlord rents out a dwelling that is already under lease, they are violating the first tenant's rights under the lease contract.
.
If the tenant wanted to be put back in possession of the dwelling, they could file suit against the landlord and ask for an injunction to be issued forcing the new tenant out. In the alternative, the tenant could just sue for damages.
.
.
Thanks