How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask jrzepka Your Own Question

jrzepka, Arttorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  Experienced landlord-tenant and foreclosyre attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
jrzepka is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I saw a house for rent on Craigs list,I contacted the owner

Resolved Question:

I saw a house for rent on Craig's list,I contacted the owner the contact person who happens to be a real estate agent in Maryland and the landlords representative hence I pay rent to him.
The house was advertised as 6 bedroom 5 bath etc..

I ended up getting the house however two month later the county came for inspection,the basement has two bedrooms,two bath,kitchen and walk out..the county said the basement is illegally built and landlord was given 3 days to remove the stove and I was given 1 day to remove the beds in the rooms,the county said there are no windows etc and he was given a violation.
My questions is,he advertised the house as 6 bedrooms for $ 2,850 however it's obvious now that the house is only 4 I have any legal right to have him reduce the rent based on that..I don't intend to ask but he is very arrogant I just want to be able to shut him down with a legal point..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  jrzepka replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

You have the ability to ask for a rent reduction or potentially to get out of the lease entirely. The lease which is effectively a contract cannot be fully fulfilled due to illegality with respect to the space in the basement. It would certainly be appropriate to question the landlord about a corresponding rent reduction.

If you do try to break the lease you will need a copy of the original posting on craigslist or other means to establish the house was improperly represented to you. You will need a copy of the inspectors report, and you would also need to show that you rented the home based on the representation made concerning the bedrooms and living space in the basement. It may be more trouble than it is worth but knowing this might provide more leverage in getting rent reduction.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

jrzepka, Arttorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience: Experienced landlord-tenant and foreclosyre attorney
jrzepka and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas McJD's Avatar

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
  • LegalWiseNC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Attorney in North Carolina.
  • barristerinky's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience representing landlords and tenants.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions