jrzepka, Arttorney
Experience:  Experienced landlord-tenant and foreclosyre attorney

I saw a house for rent on Craigs list,I contacted the owner

I saw a house for rent on Craig's list,I contacted the owner the contact person who happens to be a real estate agent in Maryland and the landlords representative hence I pay rent to him.
The house was advertised as 6 bedroom 5 bath etc..

I ended up getting the house however two month later the county came for inspection,the basement has two bedrooms,two bath,kitchen and walk out..the county said the basement is illegally built and landlord was given 3 days to remove the stove and I was given 1 day to remove the beds in the rooms,the county said there are no windows etc and he was given a violation.
My questions is,he advertised the house as 6 bedrooms for $ 2,850 however it's obvious now that the house is only 4 I have any legal right to have him reduce the rent based on that..I don't intend to ask but he is very arrogant I just want to be able to shut him down with a legal point..
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

You have the ability to ask for a rent reduction or potentially to get out of the lease entirely. The lease which is effectively a contract cannot be fully fulfilled due to illegality with respect to the space in the basement. It would certainly be appropriate to question the landlord about a corresponding rent reduction.

If you do try to break the lease you will need a copy of the original posting on craigslist or other means to establish the house was improperly represented to you. You will need a copy of the inspectors report, and you would also need to show that you rented the home based on the representation made concerning the bedrooms and living space in the basement. It may be more trouble than it is worth but knowing this might provide more leverage in getting rent reduction.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).