Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

Is there a legal way to get rid of an annoying tenant?

Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 2 years ago.

bizlaw :

When does the tenancy end? How is he being annoying?

Customer:

Tenancy ends April 9, 2013

He is confrontational almost daring me to swing at him. He follows my wife and I around when we are outside doing our watering and gardening chores. He tells my wife that I lie to her. He tells me that she is a bitch.

He is an altered male and presents himself as a man, but in the community delights in showing all who will listen that he is a female as per his drivers license. He claims I told him he could continue to rent for years to come. He has loaded his bay of the garage with an enormous amount of possessions and basically has taken up 3 bays in the 4 car garage. His dog died of cancer but before that happened he would leave the dog shut up in the house for more than 12 hours while he was away. My wife and I had to let the dog out to urinate and defecate, but resulted in the dog doing his business inside the apartment sometimes. He has yet to clean up after the dog now that he has passed away.

He leaves fruit out on the counter and we are infested with fruit flies. The kitchen is a mess.

He called the sheriff on me because he didn't like the way I was dispatching some nuisance wild animals. The deputy did not come to talk to me. He threatens to sue everyone he comes in contact with, including us. He drives 2 junk pick up trucks and has decided he will renovate one in front of my garage.

bizlaw :

You have the right to require him to follow the reasonable rules you have established. You can tell him to remove the excess material in the garage so that he only occupies the one bay to which he is entitled. You can also insist that he keep his unit reasonable clean so as not to attract insect infestation. These complaints should be brought to his attention in writing. If you and your wife find his communications to be unwelcome, you should also inform him of that fact and tell him if he has some issue with the accommodations he should put it in writing and you will respond in writing. If he fails to adhere to these directives, then you might have a basis for terminating his lease early. However, I will not mislead you that terminating the lease on the basis of your complaints is not guaranteed. Your worst case is you may have to put up with him until the end of the lease. If that is the case be sure to give him plenty of notice that his lease will not be renewed and he needs to vacate at the end of the term.

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it by giving a three stars/faces or higher . That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication

Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience: Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US