LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

How long does a landlord have to fix a hot water heater?

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

As hot water is considered essential to habitability of a rental, the landlord must make arrangements to quickly repair a broken water heater. 48 hours, not including weekends, would typically be the outside of a reasonable time to effectuate the repair. However, there is no black and white landlord tenant law stating this. However, this is the point at which you might have a good chance of moving out and claiming constructive eviction and not be obligated on the lease any further. Or, you may sue the landlord for damages associated with the loss of hot water. While the use of another apartment is a nice gesture, unless they are going to move you in there lock stock and barrel, it is a less than adequate remedy. Hot water is for much more than bathing.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer/click the Happy Smiley Face so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug