rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
8534270

My tenants keep parking on the lawn against township ordinance.

Customer Question

My tenants keep parking on the lawn against township ordinance. I like to send them a letter warning them not to do it again. Can you write couple paragraphs for me?
The lease is month to month. Here is what it says:
Tenant shall use the Premises for private residential purposes and shall not permit any unlawful or immoral practices to be connected with or carried on in on or around the Premises, including any common area, and shall not permit the use of the Premises, for any purposes that will injure the reputation of the neighborhood, disturb surrounding neighbors or Tenants such as but not limited to loud music, disturbing noise, verbal/physical fighting. Any breach of the Lease as to the use and occupancy under this section constitute grounds for immediate eviction and termination of this Lease, an option the Landlord may or may not exercise. Failure of the Landlord to exercise this option shall not constitute a waiver by the Landlord of the Landlord's right to evict the Tenant and terminate this Lease for any future breaches of this Lease.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 4 years ago.

rayanswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.What state is involved here so I may help?

Customer :

Ohio

rayanswers :

You would send a notice to comply or quit putting them on notice that this is a lease violation and if not remedied you will then file to evict them.Here is a sample for you to use to do this.

rayanswers :

Makes sure you get receipt here or otherwise can show proof of service in case you have to file to evict.

rayanswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Customer :

I was hoping for a couple nice paragraphs. I never even called them about it.

rayanswers :

In the blank part Tenant has repeatedly parked on the lawn in violation of the township ordinance.Tenant has been notified that this is illegal and has not come into compliance to date.Something like that..

rayanswers :

Well you have to be careful here about sending proper legal notice.This is the proper notice for them to correct a lease violation which is what this is.I mean you can do an oral warning telling them that its a lease violation and if they do it again you will have to send a notice to quit if you want to be nicer.But legally this is how you notify tenant of lease violation.

rayanswers :

They don't have to know whether you will file for eviction but it certainly gives them legal notice to correct or its a possibility.

rayanswers :

So a milder version

rayanswers :

Dear Tenant

Customer :

Yes, I need a milder version. They are good tenants.

rayanswers :

You are illegally parking on the lawn which violates the township ordinance.This is a lease violation.Any further illegal parking will result in a notice to quit and possibility of eviction for such violations.I am asking that you voluntarily come into compliance and avoid me having to take additional legal action because of such lease violations and violations of the township ordinance.I would ask that you not park here as again it is a lease violation and as landlord I will have to then take these additional legal actions as set out above if future violations occur.

rayanswers :

Please work with me to make sure that we are in compliance with township ordinances and the terms of your lease.

Customer :

Wow! Isn't that way too strong

rayanswers :

And sign it

rayanswers :

Well the real problem as I see it is they know its illegal and they aren't going to stop because parking is hard to come by.So they will continue to ignore you.You can water this down but at some point they trash the letter and it doesn't get resolved.That has been my experience and its a fine line here to get them to not park there.But you can water this down more if you choose.

Customer :

I don't think think that they know it is illegal

rayanswers :

Well then you are putting them on notice that it is and that they need to stop doing that.Again if you want to water it down here you may do so.And I am guessing that there is a possibility you might be fined as landlord/owner??