K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

2011 Kia sportage, the sun roof opens just fine, but when

Customer Question

2011 Kia sportage, the sun roof opens just fine, but when you have to close it, it does not close unless you press the roof button for any movement to happen, can take 5 to 10 minutes and a tired finger, I figure it is a motor somewhere, but do not know
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: This has nothing to do with tires! 2011 Kia sportage, the sun roof opens just fine, but when you have to close it, it does not close unless you press the roof button for any movement to happen, can take 5 to 10 minutes and a tired finger, I figure it is a motor somewhere, but do not know
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this does sound like a failing sunroof motor.. You'll have to remove the heeadliner to replace it. I'll post the info on replacing it below. You can purchase the motor HERE. Before replacing you may want to try lubing the tracks and assembly with some silicone spray lube.