Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

High My kia rio 2010, when I try to start the car the

Customer Question

High My kia rio 2010, when I try to start the car the starter turns and sounds like it is turning over, The drive belts do not move.
JA: What shape is the drive belt in? Do you know if it needs to be replaced, or just adjusted?
Customer: I put tape marks on all of the belts. no movement.
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I live in a small town less 500, 50 miles from big town. car has 59000 miles.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It sounds like it is turning over but wont start. driven jently from new. 2010
Category: Kia
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. From your explanation, you have one of three issues... 1. Your starter is malfunctioning and the gear is spinning but not jumping out to the flywheel... 2. Your vehicle has a broken flywheel.. or 3. Your crankshaft has separated.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Either of these problems could cause your issue. You say it sounds like the motor is turning over?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just tried to start the car and it's turning over trying to start but acting as if it's starving for gas and almost starting but does not I had the engine light come on earlier so I check the gas cap and retightened it and the right immediately Lightwent offearlier when I first tried to start the car it started to start then I heard like a belt go off the clunk
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Im suspecting that the harmonic balancer has been separated from the shaft. that why the motor is turning over and the pulleys are not moving. The reason the motor doesn't start is because the crank sensor can't get any reading because the balancer is not synced anymore in order for the sensor to get the proper reading.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

I'm almost sure this is what has happened. The balancer is also known as the crank shaft pulley.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

I'm thinking that the inertia ring has separated the balancer. In any case, you should be able to replace the harmonic balancer and be back in business.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.