K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Im installing my timing belt on my 2003 kia spectra and the

Customer Question

Im installing my timing belt on my 2003 kia spectra and the tensioner pulley isnt applying enough tension. Im trying to see if the spring is in right
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: I replaced my head gasket so im in the process of reinstalling my timing belt
JA: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive installed the timing belt with the timing marks aligned vertically with the valve cover when i got the belt on I increased the tension by loosening the tension pulley screw and the tension wasnt high enough
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'll post an illustration below of how the spring should go. If it has resistance when turning the adjuster opposite of the belt it's on properly but may be worn out. KIA recommends replacing the spring when doing the belt, I suggest replacing the spring and tensioner assembly. Let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok to make sure the timing marks for the overhead camshafts are the vertical marks aligning the I with the intake side and the E with the exhaust side.

That's correct. I'll post pictures below for you of the cams and crank. After you get the belt installed and tight rotate the engine twice by hand to make sure everything lines back up before starting.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you.

You're welcome, if you have any more questions along the way just reply back.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got it all installed but there wasn't enough tension so I had to buy a new spring

Thanks for letting me know. Good luck with it and if you run into any problems feel free to reply back.