Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

I start it and it turn off. It's seems that there is some

Customer Question

I start it and it turn off. It's seems that there is some signal for a valve to close, cause I hear the click and after many times starting it, then it will start. I already replaced the throttle body cause that was the code 608
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: When I try to start the car, it won't start
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It started after a routina air filter replacement
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: Sportage 2011
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replacing the throttle body, cleaning the motor, replacing spark plugs, new battery,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only issue is during start, after starting it (few tries), there are no other problems Also coils were replaced
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

Try this, after letting it sit a while, cycle the key about 3 or 4 times, from START to ON, don't try to start it. just cycle the key from OFF to ON a few times, then attempt to crank it and see if it that helps any. Let me know.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Will do now
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It didn't work. Started and then turned off
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

Alright. sounds good.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The "hard reset" didn't work
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

Is the check engine light on now when it's running? or have you seen it come on since you've had this problem?

Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

I would like to know what code is in it now? or if it is setting any or not.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I took it to the mechanic and that's when we got the throttle code
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

So the check engine light is still on now? correct?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
it is on
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

Alright, Likely whatever is causing the check engine light to come on is causing the issue, so if you can get the codes read, and let me know what they are, (usually a local auto parts store can do this) then I would have a better idea as to what is going on. Do you feel comfortable with this mechanic that fixed the throttle body? how long ago was the vehicle worked on by him?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It has 5 codes; the first two were shown during the first check, and the last three are new: P2105
P0605p2122
P2127
P2104
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The throttle body was new, not refurbished
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I've just disconnected the car battery to see if the computer resets and recognize the new throttle, just in case
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

Did you mechanic download the software into the new throttle module?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Don't think so, since he mounted it straight from the box I've received from KIA
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How this is done?
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

If the throttle body didn't come preloaded, then this is your problem. This is done with software that is downloaded through the DLC connector, or Data Link Connector that you plug in to the same spot you plug your code reader into at. If it was a brand new throttle body from Kia, I beleive he should've downloaded the software or what is referred to as "programmed" the throttle body. May want to find a kia dealer that can straighten the software out on it, because most independent shops haven't invested in the interface or have the tooling available to do this.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It seems that the throttle body was preloaded. Unplugged the battery, plugged it back and now the car is cranking and working properly. No faulty light on
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

If it was preloaded then you should be good to go, Can you clear all the codes out and nothing comes back?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Unfortunately, it was false alarm. We are back to the faulty state. After a couple of successful crank intents, the engine light turned back on and car isn't cranking. So frustrated... :(
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

Alright, Did this tech just put the throttle body on it recently ?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Today
Expert:  Edward replied 13 days ago.

I don't think it came preloaded, but I can't be positive, It could be the pedal position sensor but haven't seen too many of those fail. I believe it needs loading and the software updated. and it should work right. That's my best answer on this one.