Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

2004 sorento intermittently stalls at freeway speed. After

Customer Question

2004 sorento intermittently stalls at freeway speed. After coasting to a stop, it will run fine again. Don't need to restart engine. Appears to lose fuel.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: No check engine light. Happens at freeway speed.
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have replaced the fuel pump/filter. But did it again afterwards. intermittent problem. This morning we drove for about 80 miles, it stalled twice about 5 minutes apart. Gas tank was about 3/4 full. Topped off tank and drove home (80 miles) with no issues. Problem seems to happen when gas tank is less than about 3/4 full.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is about it.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

when the fuel system is less than 3/4 of a tank and more than 1/4 of a tank the fuel evaporation system will function for the fuel vapors, its possible that the purge valve is sticking open or there is raw fuel in the fuel line and its flooding the engine.

also there was a problem with the intake boots to the engine tearing and allowing excess air into the engine past the mass air flow so it causes the engine to die or run rough or cut out, it would be best to drive with a fuel pressure gauge on the engine to see if it is in fact losing fuel .

let me know your thoughts, Lou P.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

besides that the most common issue is a crank sensor and or cam sensor, when the sensors get hot they fail, its possible depending on the outside temp of your area that when coasting to a stop its just enough time to cool the sensor(s) down and allow them to work again. hope this helps, Lou P.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.