EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.
34559540

Replaced the power streering pump last week, the presure

Customer Question

replaced the power streering pump last week
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: the presure value was leaking and broke , leaking there now today lost power streeing again and looks like its leaking in the same spot ?
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2005 sortage
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: is that a presure switch or value ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: its my nephews replaced the pump and looked for other leaks , it did seem to be very wet all around but just figured it was coming off the belt
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Is this a 4 or 6 cyl engine? 2 or***** Also where exactly do you see the fluid leaking from?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's the v6 awd. Fluid was leaking out of the pressure relief valve (was told that's what it is called) mounted on top of the power steering pump

And the fluid is still leaking from there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced the pump and it had a new one it. Topped off the fluid and bleed the system (turned wheel back and forth working the air out) topped off the fluid and it worked great. Drove about a 1000 miles and it's leaking again from that valve

It is not common for that to leak. It is possible that the system may have a restriction in the system so fluid is not flowing easily from and back to the pump. Pressure may be building cause the leak from too much pressure. THat is why the valve is there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does this model have a inline filter for the power steering. I bought a filter at auto zone it was an inline style and couldn't find where it goes. A friend told me a lot of models have the filter in the reservoir. He told me to change the filter

THere is no inline filter. There is a screen in the reseviour. if it plugs up it will just restrict fluid from going into the pump and the pump usually just whines. But it could be worth checking and cleaning anyway as a place to start.

Let me know if you need any more help on this. Also please take a moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.