Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I work at a Nissan dealer and my sons girlfriends car wont

Customer Question

hi, i work at a Nissan dealer and my sons girlfriends car wont pass emissions, keeps saying O2 sensors are not ready. this car has been driven at least 1000 miles since battery replaced. our computers here cant really do much. im being cheap and dont want to take it to the Kia dealer. any ideas?
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: yes, sensors are all good
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2004 Kia Rio. im a service advisor at Nissan, lol. and i will probably get stuck paying for the cost
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: my techs drove it through the drive cycle already. catalyst shows ready but evap system is not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Did the techs do the Kia drive cycle or just the generic drive cycle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kia drive cycle
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only problem is I'm not a mechanic so I can't answer all of the questions. There is paperwork attached to the emission inspection form and it looks like my techs already contacted you. I just noticed that. It says Expert: Eric
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The techs talked to you on December 26th
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, there are a few different experts here named Eric. I looked thru my history and dont show helping on a KIA emissions issue on the 26.

Do you know what the O2 sensors are reading on the drive cycle?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

And did they do the*****cycle 2 times in a row?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would have to plug it in again and pull the exact numbers but the directions he was given don't say to do the drive cycle twice
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't mind paying to call but I couldn't do it for about an hour. is it an additional $26 above the $20 I just paid?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

The phone call request is automated. You can ignore it.

Ok, check the drive cycle they did against the one below. And it does need to be done twice in a row to set all the monitors

Begin Drive Cycle
The vehicle should be driven approximately 7.5 miles within a period of approx. 23 minutes (1372 seconds) from a cold start. However, due to manufacture variations, it is necessary to perform only as much of the Drive Cycle as is necessary to reset the required monitors to a "Ready" status. Operate the throttle smoothly to obtain best results. Do not shut the engine off during the drive cycle.

CAUTION: Obey all traffic laws and drive in a safe manner!

NOTE: Extreme driving conditioning such as very high/low temperatures, rough roads and high altitudes may prevent some monitors from attaining a "Ready" status.

Step 1 (Engine Cold) Start engine, idle 20 seconds. Accelerate gradually and drive at 20-25 mph for 1 minute, varying speed.

Step 2 Accelerate gradually to 32 mph within 35 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle for 40 seconds.

Step 3 Accelerate at part throttle to 25 mph in 10 seconds. Cruise at 17-25 mph for 15 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 57 mph in 45 seconds. Cruise at 50-56 mph for 1 minute. Decelerate gradually to 0 mph in 40 seconds. Idle for 15 seconds.

Step 4 Accelerate at part throttle to 36 mph and maintain for 10 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 15 seconds. Idle for 5 seconds.

Step 5 Accelerate to 30 mph and back to 0 mph within 30 seconds. Idle for 20 seconds.

Step 6 Accelerate to 36 mph in*****at 35 mph for 20 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 15 seconds. Idle 5 seconds.

Step 7 Accelerate gradually to 26 mph and decelerate to 0 within 40 seconds. Idle 15 seconds.

Step 8 Accelerate to 27 mph in 40 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle 25 seconds.

Step 9 Accelerate to 26 mph in 15 seconds, maintain speed for 10 seconds, decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle 15 seconds.

Step 10 Accelerate to 23 mph in 20 seconds, decelerate to 0.5 mph in 10 seconds (no complete stop). Accelerate to 28 mph and back to 0 mph (momentary stop 1 second) within 35 seconds.

Step 11 Accelerate gradually to 34 mph in 45 seconds. Vary speed between 34 and 19 mph for 2 minutes. Decelerate from 25 to 0 mph in 25 seconds. Idle for 5 seconds.

Step 12 Accelerate to 29 mph in 15 seconds, decelerate gradually to 0 mph in 45 seconds. Idle for 30 seconds.

Step 13 Accelerate gradually to 28 mph and back to 0 mph (momentary stop 1 second) within 50 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 27 mph and back to 0 mph within 55 seconds. Idle for 15 seconds.

Step 14 Accelerate to 24 mph and back to 0 mph within 18 seconds. Idle for 10 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 22 mph and back to 0 mph within 50 seconds. Idle for 8 seconds.

Step 15 Accelerate gradually to 30 mph within 50 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle for 25 seconds.

Step 16 Accelerate to 23 mph and back to 0 mph within 30 seconds. Idle for 10 seconds.

Step 17 Repeat steps 1 - 16 once again. Recheck the status of the "Readiness Monitors".

NOTE: Remember, clearing DTC's or interrupting power to the ECM after the readiness monitors have been reset to "Ready" will require that the Drive Cycle be repeated.

Completing the Drive Cycle successfully one (1) time should reset most drive cycle monitors to a "Ready" status. However, there are "two trip" monitors, which require that the drive cycle be successfully completed two (2) times, to achieve a "Ready" status. Furthermore, systems which use averaging, may require the drive cycle to be completed more than 2 times. It is necessary to perform only as much of the Drive Cycle as is necessary to reset the required monitors to a "Ready" status.

End Drive Cycle

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, I will the mechanic on this. can I email back if it doesn't work? I would just take it to the Kia dealer here but they don't sound very smart lol
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Just bookmark this page to return to it easily. I am here everyday

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
awesome....I will get this done asap and then text back...thanks!!!
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

sounds good

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my mechanic hasn't had a chance to do the drive cycle,,im really trying for this afternoon cuz I need this stupid car to pass emissions
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Ok, let me know how the drive cycles go

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I DEFINITELY WILL
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the drive cycles didn't work, still shows drive cycles not completed. he drove it twice
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, see if they can take it for a drive and monitor the live data on the O2 sensors and let me know the voltage variations between the front and rear O2 sensors.

Possible that one is just lazy enough to prevent the drive cycle from completing but not enough to trip a fault code

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I SHOULD HAVE AN ANSWER ON THE O2 SENSORS BY TODAY, WE GOT PACKED IN HERE AND IM TRYING TO GET IT LOOKED AT. IM SORRY ITS TAKING SO LONG BUT I WILL MESSAGE U AS SOON AS I CAN. TRUST ME I WANT THIS CAR DONE SO BADLY CUZ IM TIRED OF IT LOL....THANKS
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Ok, sounds good.