Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Rear brakes do not work, 60000 miles not original brakes

Customer Question

rear brakes do not work
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: 60000 miles not original brakes plenty of pad left on brakes no pressussure to caliper piston
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2006 optima
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes changed front pads yesterday for overheating brake problem still overheating.your mechanic suggested checking rear brakes not working causing fronts to work harder and heat up. thats when i found rear calipers are not working
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Please read below TSB bulletin on this kia ,this will cause the caliper not moving the pads ,click on link to view diagrams

but if the calipers are sized up replace them after checking that there is fluid coming to them ,unless you have a problem with brake master or abs unit ?

any warning light on dash now ?

2006 Kia Optima L4-2.4L VIN 6

Save Article

Model All Model Group Brake System(41) Number KT2008090502 Date Friday, September 05, 2008 Area N.America Subject Brake Noise - All Models - Description Some vehicles may experience a squeaking or grinding noise originating from the front or rear disc brakes when applying the brake. The concern maybe related to the brake pads sticking and not moving freely in the slides due to lack of lubrication one/or corrosion. To address this concern remove, clean and lubricate the brake pad contact area as shown in the article.

Zoom and Print Options

^ Remove caliper mounting bracket as required

^ Clamp mounting bracket into vice and clean the rust and/or corrosion using a wire brush

^ Lubricate the cleaned areas with CRC(R) Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease

^ Use grease on both sides of anti-squeak shim if equipped

CAUTION:
Make sure NO grease gets on the braking surfaces.

If grease gets on the pad friction material or rotor it must be cleaned before road-testing the vehicle.

Zoom and Print Options

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Happy Holidays

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat