Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Trying to figure out how to change the bulb for the charging

Customer Question

trying to figure out how to change the bulb for the charging system on the instrument panel; all other bulbs light up with the ignition key turned on except for this one
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: on the instrument panel, lower left side at the bottom of the tachometer; there are bulbs for oil pressure, charging system, and brake system
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2002 Kia Sportage
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, doing it myself; can't figure out how to get to the bulb
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 days ago.

You need to remove 2 screws to remove trim, then 4 bolts to remove cluster, then bulbs will twist out of back. Here are instructions from manual, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvlm8bkotfkxmvi/c1.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I removed the 2 screws at the top of the panel. This loosens the trim piece but it won't come off so that I can access the instrument cluster. I also don't see any screws holding the instrumnet cluster with the trim pulled out as far as possible.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 days ago.

It will come off, you may need to pry on it a little. You can use a flat screwdriver and make sure steering wheel is in lowest position. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I had the wheel all the way down. Didn't try prying it off. I can't work on it any more today and I'm out of town tomorrow. I'll hit it again on Wednesday. I also noticed the seat belt light is not working so that bulb may be bad as well. Do you know the bulb number for these bulbs ? The owner's manual shows all the other bulb numbers but nothing for these bulbs. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 days ago.

I do not have a bulb number, your best option is removing bulb and bringing it with you to the parts store. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.