fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

The lights do not automatically shut off any longer (Kia

Customer Question

The lights do not automatically shut off any longer (Kia Sedona 2011, we have owned since new. The van also gives no alarm that the lights are on so our battery has drained multiple times since we are accustomed to them shutting off automatically
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: I have tried unlocking-that is how I have to get it in when it is dead. But you think I should try to lock & unlock? It has been this way since we changed a headlight
JA: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. I have called our local Kia service & they act like the lights never used to go off on their own.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's our only issue
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 5 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me which lights are staying on? Is it just the headlamps or all of the exterior lamps? How about the interior lamps?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It is just the front & back parking lights. After some additional research, it looks like the battery saver function is not working.
Expert:  fix it man replied 3 days ago.

Thank you. And the lights will not go off or change at all when you move the switch manually to off?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
they go off if I manually turn them off but they do not go off automatically if I do not turn them off manually, like they used to. The headlights still automatically go off but the parking lights do not. There is no alarm to alert you that the lights were left on so my battery has run down numerous times.
Expert:  fix it man replied 2 day ago.

Thank you. The rear area module is what controls this system. It has an internal timer that is supposed to turn the lights off after a period of time. I usually start by reprogramming the module to see if it will take care of it. If the programming does not help then the module will need to be replaced and then programmed.