Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

I bought a Kia Rio 2008 yesterday. When I checked all of the

Customer Question

I bought a Kia Rio 2008 yesterday. When I checked all of the lights, I noticed the brake lights werre not working. The tail lights, parking lights, turn signals, and headlights work. The only problem is that the breake lights are not operating. THe fuse is not blown. The car also has a mounted light in the rear windshield. What cojld be causing this problem, and what do I need to do to resolve it? Thanks in advance for your cooperation and assistance. MY e-MAIL address is***@******.***. Thanks again!
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: Bulbs are not blown and the wiring is plugged in correctly.
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just bought it yesterday. I have donenotning except check the fuses and the bulbs. THe tail lights work just fine. The light mounted in the rear windshield is ot working neither.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just what the problem could be and how I need to resolve it.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

No need to request a phone call, but please give me a moment to type my response.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Usually a problem like this is the result of a bad brake light switch. This is mounted up under the dash on the brake pedal bracket. If you have a test light we can do some testing to make sure it is in fact the problem, or you can just replace the switch. These are not hugely expensive parts if you just want to change it to test and see if it's the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help?