Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

1998 kia sportage turns over will not start have changed

Customer Question

1998 kia sportage turns over will not start have changed Crank position sensor no luck have tried spraying starting fluid in intake no luck.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors, proper fuel pressure and good engine compression, can you check each one of these things and see which one you are lacking and post back and we can work from there to determine the cause.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I have everything but injector pulse, looked at data with scanner inhibitor switch shows to be on could this be a security issue?

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

That is likely, have you scanned the system to see if there are any fault codes setting and have you tried using the spar key?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

No fault codes have to see if they have a spare key.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

In most cases if you have a theft system concern it will usually set a fault code. Try the spare key if you can and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Scanned pending code found code P0561 System backup power malfunction

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

This code indicates a difference in voltage of less than 2.5 volts at the Engine Control Module (ECM). Kia had a recall on this code that called for replacing a couple of connector the recall was campaign 014. I think you should check on this first as it could very well be related.