Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I have a 2006 Kia Sorento. I turn key over and it wont

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Kia Sorento. I turn key over and it wont start, every comes on lights ,radio. I unplugged the battery on negative side for about a minute and that didn't do nothing then I hocked up battery cables up to it and let charged for a while and still nothing. I checked ignition fuses and main power fuses and all good. Now about 3 weeks ago my wife was driving it and she stopped to get gas and when she went to start it it did the same thing then the engine light came on and I had it scanned and it said bad crank postion sensor. I never fixed it but engine light went off so I didn't worry about it. So if the sensor goes completely out could it be that or would it be something else. I dint kow if sensor goes out if it would turn over or not. So what could it be?
Category: Kia
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. if this happened to your wife 3 weeks ago and the crank sensor was faulted, why would you have not replaced it then? my recommendation is to replace it now.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't drive it every day and the engine light went off after sitting a day or two so I thought nothing of it.

well go ahead and replace it if its still giving you the same code.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is at my house now and I don't have a scanner. I only scanned it when it stared back up and the engine light was on and I was able to take it up to take it up to oreillys now it at mow house and wont start.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if the crank sensor is bad will that cause it not to turn over at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just checking back with you if you have any ideas what it could be. I do plan on replacing the sensor but will that cause it not to turn over at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you not answering anymore question? if you want a good rating I thank you would be answering the last two emails I sent you.

yes, it will cause the vehicle to not turnover. it will crank but not turnover

and as far as not responding ,i am working with other customers also. thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but it is not cranking it is doing nothing.

you didnt say that sir. turning over is starting.

do you have a meter handy?

is it clicking at all while trying to start it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not on hand but when I get home I will what do I need to do? I don't get nothing other than all gagers coming on the radio coming on horn works I charged battery and still nothing could it be bad starter solenoid or bad starer relay.

it could be a multitude of things. i dont guess. i eliminate possible causes. let me know when you are ready to proceed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What could the multitude of things be? are could the ground from motor to frame not get good connection.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im just getting make with you about my car not starting or turning over. You said it could be a couple different things so what may could it be?

a loose ground. a loose wire. a bad ignition switch, a bad battery, a blown fuse, a bad starter, a bad computer, a bad relay,etc.....

do you now see why i dont guess? you start by checking the most probable things first then work you way down

i can always opt out if thats not satisfactory for you.