Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

06 Kia Sedona, engine rattle opposite of timing chain, only

Customer Question

06 Kia Sedona, engine rattle opposite of timing chain, only when in R or D. Now expense random miss fire on all plugs. On miss fire when traveling at 50mph plus for over 10min. Other rattle noise present. No codes driving at city speeds. Changed plugs and switched coils. Originally high-speed misfire on 3 and6 the latest showed all six. I turn Van off clear codes, starts and runs fine until I get to 50mph again. Any ideas where to look. Is this some timing issue. Is the a time advance sensor for higher speeds?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

for timing advance issues and no fire at coils or intermittent or hard to start

1- CKP ( Crank Shaft Sensor)

2- CMP (Cam Shaft Sensor)

3- the random multiple misfire , could vacuum leak related, so do a smoke test and make sure no leaks

4- check fuel pressure

5- check MAF Sensor ,Clean with mass air flow sensor cleaner and retry

6- you can try spraying st6arting fluid on intake ON COLD ENGINE ONLY NOT HOT ,AND SEE IF THE ENGINE RPMS SURGE UP ,IF IT DOES THERE A VACUUM LEAK, IF NO SMOKE MACHINE AVAILABLE TO YOU

7- RATTLE NOISE L:Take the timing belt off and check the Tensioner and the pulleys ,if the rattle from Timing belt you want to fix that ASAP

Engine mounts & trans mounts, exhaust brakects or catalic convert heat shield or the catalic converter itslef rattling internally

8-If possible get me Fuel; trims reading ,Short term & long term and oxygen sensor reading on idle using a scanner with live data i can be more accurate for you

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not any heat shields. This Van has timing chain not a belt that I'm aware of. Why would it run fine not throwing any codes until high speeds are reach for over 10 to15 min. Rattle occurs regardless of speed, never a hard start or bad idle unless codes were thrown and slowing down afterwards or coming to stop. Turn off Van and /or clear codes, I can run city speeds all day without issue. Once code flashes then stays on, plug misfire can be felt at any speed and when stopped. I clear codes and/or turn off Van, then Van runs fine until high speeds are achieved for a period of time. Ur information wasn't very helpful as of yet. Thank you

I will opt out ,another expert can help you on it