Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

When I try to switch the air flow from the heater to defrost

Customer Question

When I try to switch the air flow from the heater to defrost or any other setting than the one it is on it doesn't switch the flow and makes a knocking noise
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: sounds like it is coming from under the dash or front console area
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: driver side
JA: What year is your Kia?
Customer: 2009 ex with the v6
JA: Are you fixing your EX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to, so far I took the cover off the front driver side console so I could see and hear better, and then I switched the air flow and it seems like the noise is higher up under the dash
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the AC is also affected when I run the AC it works ok but when I put it on Max AC it makes the knocking noise but it sound about the same place but more on the passenger side
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

May I have the model of your Kia?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2009
ex
v-6
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Ok. What model? Sorento? Optima? Sportage?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sportage
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is an lx
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 3 months ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay. My name is***** am a Kia factory trained technician. It sounds to me like you have two separate issues going on, although both with blend doors or the blend door actuators. There are doors that control the air flow of the climate control system; whether it is recirculating or fresh air, blowing from the floor, center, or dashboard vents etc. There are 3 different actuators. Two on the passenger side, and one on the driver side. The driver side one controls the mode; for example defrost, center vent, or floor. The one on the center console side of the passenger side controls the temperature. Lastly, the one on the passenger side that is facing the blower motor box controls the fresh air/recirculation door. I would venture to guess that you have two bad actuators. The mode control actuator, as well as the intake actuator. I have attached images of the locations of these. They will not be very easy to get to to replace, although doable without removing the dashboard. I would recommend bringing to a shop if you are not a totally confident mechanic. Hopefully this has helped you. Good luck!

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating me 3 stars or higher or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.