Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner, Line Mechanic, Electronics
1609972

I have a 1999 Kiad Sportage 4 door base model. I ordered 4

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Kiad Sportage 4 door base model. I ordered 4 new exterior door handles for it. The fronts installed no problem. The rears look correct in every way except i for the life of me cannot figure out how to connect the existing cable to the new handle. my old read door handle has a metal shaft with a spring on the end where the cable hooks up. The cable has a flat metal piece with an opening in it that would slide onto the shaft on the handle. The new handle has a green hook where the shaft should be. I have checked several different replacement handles and they all seem to be the same. What am I missing?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

send me picture of the handle & your cable .

did that handle come with a different end that goes in the existing cable that fits it .

when you ordered did they specify front or rear ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I specified front and rear. I ordered all 4. The fronts were no problem. I just cannot figure out how to connect the new handle to the cable end on the new handles on the rear. I called the supplier and double checked the part numbers. They were correct, and also verified with them that these are supposed to be the correct handles for my make and year.

on the last picture is this the end of the cable is it cut ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No that is a threaded end on the cable for adjustment. The cable is fine. But the cable end threads into the piece shown in the picture.
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 month ago.

IF you are not going to use the old Handles, why not cut off the threaded part & thread it into your cable, then slip the other end into the RED Plastic & lock it down with the GREEN Tab.

just a thought, as the New ones have to be a design change & I see no Bulletin about that

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try that in the morning. Thanks

IF you do not want to cut the old ones, you should be able to purchase (cheap) a Threaded Rod of the same Threads from a Hardware Store also........

.

thanks

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.