Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

My 06 Kia Sorento' s belts had been making noise on

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm Joe. My 06 Kia Sorento ' s belts had been making noise on occasion. Today 2 of the 3 belts broke while on the freeway. I was able to get it home.how can I replace them myself. I have the tools and some skills, but I've never done a belt job like this before. Please help.
JA: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?
Customer: They are all factory and never been replaced. It's been suggested to me to do this many times. I was going to have "Tuffy" do them on my next paycheck (2 weeks). It looks like the main larger belt is left. I want to try and do them all now that it's stopped raining.
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I try to do as much myself as I can.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's about it. Thanks. Also I'm doing this on my cell phone. Laptop is down.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer

The first thing I do is make my own diagram how all the belts are positioned with the pulleys they drive. Then one at a time loosen the tensioners and lock them so the belts are loose enough to remove, noting where each one cam off.and match the length of the old ones to the new ones.place them back on in the opposite sequence as you took them off. loosen tensioners so they apply tension and check before starting . I will include a diagram that may help you you may have to jack that side of the vehicle up and remove a plastic cover so you can get at the lower part of the belts easier. Hope this helps and if you take your time and do it rt you should be just fine.If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Please take time to rate my answer thank you