Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

2006 3.5 amanti no start, fuel pump won't run for the 2

2006 3.5 amanti no start, fuel pump won't run for the 2 seconds when ignition is turned on and doesn't run during cranking. fuse is good, relay is good, if i hot wire the pump the pump runs and fuel pressure at rail is 41psi. Timing belt ok and it has spark. No codes found from ecm. ??? Please help THX Kevin.

Good morning,

Have you checked the fuel cut off sensor yet?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
NO, where on a 2006 amanti is this sensor located?

I'm sorry, I guess I was thinking of the Sorento. It has one on the passenger side fender and is easily bumped when checking the air filter. On the amanti the fuel cut off is integrated into the PCM. Do you have a scan tool that can command the PCM to run the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
sorry i don't, just ob2 basic tests.

So we'll have to do the testing the manual way. First, do you have 12 volts to the 20AMP fuel pump fuse in the under hood fuse box?

Do you have 12 volts at the fuel pump relay on pin 38?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
will have to check tomorrow.

Ok. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
12v fuse yes, pin 38 no. sorry for being late getting hack to you, my wife is getting a knee replacement today.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
still waiting for reply

I'm sorry, for some reason your question dropped to my timed out list and I didn't see your last response.

Shoot. I just looked at the diagram again and it looks like pin 38 should be grounded by the PCM to command the fuel pump relay to kick on. If you ground pin 38 with a jumper wire will the fuel pump run?

The pin on the opposite side of 38 (it's not labeled in the diagram) should be 12 volts. It is also on the same circuit as the injector power feed.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i have that diagram and yes if i ground pin 38 the pump runs and the pin not labeled that comes from main relay has 12v with key on.

So then the PCM isn't sending the ground signal to run the fuel pump. You may need a scan tool to try to activate the fuel pump through the PCM. If it won't work then the PCM is the problem.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i was afraid you were going to say that. i'll see if i can get a hold of a scan tool that will command the fuel pump. Thanks, Kevin

I think you'll need one to proceed. Otherwise you will never know if the PCM is doing what it's supposed to do.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks Jared, you have confirmed what I thought was going to be the expensive end to fixing this problem.
THX Kevin