Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Intermittent kind of grinding noise coming from passenger

Customer Question

Intermittent kind of grinding noise coming from passenger front wheel
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I just bought the car and it has been going on since I bought it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2005 Kia Sorento LX 4X4
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Thinking it's my wheel hub assembly
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Normally I have a mechanic do my work but I try to troubleshoot & get the parts ahead of time
Category: Kia
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hello

I'd start by checking for wheel bearing wear

jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

I'd also check for a worn drive shaft joint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you