Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I'm thinking of buying an 03 sorento. 3.5. Low miles. It

Customer Question

I'm thinking of buying an 03 sorento. 3.5. Low miles. It does when it reaches operating temperature. Then will not restart until it cools down. The OBD two codes that are showing our a 700. 717. 324. 300 and 340. I was told that this vehicle has new heads and head gaskets. New timing belt. And new cam sensor.
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: This is not my vehicle yet. The vehicle only has less than 100,000 miles on it. The timing belt has about 7000 miles on it
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just told you what's been done to it. And what has been tried.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not right now thanks
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jared D replied 18 days ago.

It's hard to say, but based on those codes it sounds like either the vehicle is off time (the timing belt wasn't replace correctly) or it needs a new cam or crank position sensor (or both sensors). My money is on the crank position sensor being bad-that would cause the stall and not restart condition you describe.

It probably also needs a throttle position sensor based on the 700 and 717 codes.

Does the owner report that it ran fine up until recently or has it been running poorly ever since the timing belt?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He says it runs great til it reaches operating temp
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He also said cam sensor is new
Expert:  Jared D replied 18 days ago.

I'd say you could probably just change the crank sensor and have a decent running vehicle in that case. The trouble is, the crank sensor is inside the timing chain cover. It's not the hardest thing in the world to change, but it will take about 2 hours of labor or so.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sounds good I'm a pretty good mechanic but wanted some expert advice before I tried anything. Appreciate your assistance. Thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 18 days ago.

To test it, when the vehicle stalls out, check for cranking RPM data on a scan tool. If you can't see RPM data while cranking then you know the crank sensor is acting up.

Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 14 days ago.

Hi, do you still need help with this?

If not, please don't forget to rate.