Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2012 Kia Navigation stopped working. Took it to Kia and they

Customer Question

2012 Kia Navigation stopped working. Took it to Kia and they said the unit needs to be replaced? Is there a factory reset?
JA: What is the model of your '12 Kia?
Customer: Sorento SX. Car was in a bad accident which needed to have extensive body work done. Could this have caused an electrical issue?
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried to fix anything. The car only had 500 miles since the repairs and the entire system lit up while I was driving and shut off. I had it towed to the dealership, where they said the alternator needs to be replaced.
JA: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?
Customer: Car is at dealership. We did notice the horn sounded different.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Could the accident caused this damage?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

If the alternator was not charging the battery then there is not enough voltage available to run the nav and accessories. Once you have a good alternator output and voltage it should correct the problem. Is the dealership working on it right now?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The accident could cause problems. I would first let the dealer replace the alternator as this is most likely the problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks,

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks