Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Intermittent starting. Yes. It's been happening for about 10

Customer Question

intermittent starting.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes. It's been happening for about 10 months since we bought it used. Won't start. No crank, or sound or anything. Try for a few minutes and then it starts.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Kia?
Customer: it's an 07 LX
JA: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We've changed the battery. We can't seem to diagnosis it because it doesn't break down at the shop.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2007 Kia Sedona, rear door power lock won't work, probably a lock actuator. Not the big problem though. The sudden, unpredictability of not starting is. Turn the key...nothing, no sound. Dash lights and power is all good. Try for 5 or so minutes of turning the key on and off and it will eventually start. And then won't give us problems for a day, a week, or even a month, just never know. What steps should I take to diagnose or fix?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin if this occurs and lights are on do they dim when key turned to start position ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ni
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Has starter been checked ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Ok can we do some basic checks ? how did you do the starter check and when ? was it working at the time or not working when the check was done.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Peter,
Yes it was working at the time of the check. That is my main problem in trying to diagnose this issue. It's working when I take it into the shop or dealer. When it's not working I can't get it there. Plus, even if I did tow the van to the shop it is likely that it would start up on it's own and work when it got there. The problem never persists more than 20 minutes. I was hoping someone would know if this is a common enough problem to know the fix. Like the IPM or the CBM or a fuse or something because sometimes the power doors act up too.
thank you for any insight,
martin.

ok thanx for that info, yes intermittent electrical problems can be both difficult and frustrating to diagnose for the owner and shops. Allthough we don't want to start throwing expensive parts at this, sometimes is the only solution is to take an educated guess and do so. There are a couple things you can try before that to see if we can narrow things down though.