Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

I want to get the filter changed, but it's internal and I

Customer Question

I want to get the filter changed, but it's internal and I can't find any info about how to do it
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: Wife's car has over 100k, not sure exact mileage. Oil is black, and very low. She bought it from a private seller about 5 months ago. TPMS light is on, and I can't figure out how to turn that off, either
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2008 Kia Spectra
JA: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't started, but yes. Fixing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 23 days ago.

The transmission filter is not meant to be changed regularly. It is roughly a 8 hour job as you have to dropped the transmission and tear the transmission down in order to replace it. I dont recommend this if you have never rebuilt transmissions before as that is essentially what you will be doing in order to replace the filter.

It is cleaned by having a machine flush done on the transmission

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
the TPMS light? Resetting the sensor for that and shutting the dash warning light off?
Expert:  Eric replied 23 days ago.

2008 Kia Spectra L4-2.0L

Save Article

Once the low pressure tire is reinflated to the recommended pressure and installed on the vehicle, the TPMS malfunction indicator and the low tire pressure telltale will be extinguished. If the low pressure and TPMS malfunction indicators are not extinguished after about 20 minutes of continuous driving, please visit an authorized Kia dealer.

As you can see, the TPMS on your Spectra automatically resets once you inflate tires to proper pressure. So if none of your tires are low, or were low and you inflated them, then the light should have gone out after 20 minutes worth of driving. If it has not gone out, there is a problem with one of the sensors inside the tire.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
you don't know how to turn that off, or get it working right?
Expert:  Eric replied 23 days ago.

You need to check the tire inflation on each tire and set them to 32-35psi. Drive for 20 minutes and light will go off.

IF tires are already at correct inflation or light doesnt go off after driving for 20 minutes, then one of the sensors inside the tires mounted to the inside of the rim is faulty. A scan tool is used to test them. The one that is bad is then replaced. To replace one, the tire has to be dismounted from the rim.

So you need a scan tool and a tire machine to dismount the tire from the rim and then remount it. This is not a DIY repair

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I've done those things. Is there a way to shut it off/reset the system? All of the tires are inflated correctly, and I've driven it as stated in a lot of online articles on the subject. Is there a way to disable, or shut it off? I know that the tires are good.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'll just go to Discount Tires and have them check it out. That's what all the online forums say to do. I thought you might have a better solution that I could do myself.
Expert:  Eric replied 23 days ago.

As I previously explained, the light is designed to shut off automatically, and if it does not, then there is a problem with one of the sensors. There is NO workaround to shut the light off. The problem has to be diagnosed and repaired