Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

Recently I have been having issues with it shifting. In the

Customer Question

Recently I have been having issues with it shifting. In the morning I manually put the shifter D and it will roll backward as I apply pressure to the gas petal and before it goes forward. It will also do the same in reverse.. I have had a Kia dealer put it on the compurt raeder and it says there is a. internal problem and will cost $1700 to fix it. Help
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No gas hog. Starts up first time every time.
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2004 Kia Sedona LX
JA: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I have just taken it to my local repair shop who told me the clutches were burned up (without checking the computer and with beautiful rich red fluid and no burnt smell) and also to a Kia dealer who can only tell me the reader says it's an internal problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time. Thanks
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

It sounds to me like the transmission is just starting to show signs of normal wear. How many miles do you have on the vehicle?

How long has it been since the last time the transmission fluid was replaced?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have 105 ,000k on it and it's been probably 10,000k since the fluid was changed.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Does it seem to slip when shifting between gears or at high RPM?

If it only slips slightly and when going from park to drive or reverse then I would say it's either normal wear or a slight fluid restriction.

You could have the valve body disassembled and check for sticking solenoids or valves, or you could have the transmission pan dropped to make sure the filter isn't cracked or poorly seated in the valve body.