Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained

My 2013 Kia Optima will not start. The brake pedal is in a

Customer Question

My 2013 Kia Optima will not start. The brake pedal is in a locked position and will not depress. I have read other forums and tried holding the start button down for 20-30 seconds. I have pumped and wobbled the brake pedal. I tried to use the remote starter. Nothing seems to work. Please help!!!!
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Brad Barker replied 30 days ago.

does the car have power. can you tap the stop start button two times without depressing the brake pedal and tell me what happens? You should have radio on and all accessories after you tap it two times.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have power if I tap twice. Some indicator lights come on. Immobilizer indicator, Oil lamp, battery, EPS, and malfunction indicator lamp.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hi. I still can't Start the car. Anything else? Asking me a question, while a great first step, doesn't exactly warrant a $28 charge.
Expert:  Brad Barker replied 29 days ago.

so the brake pedal feels stiff? There is a fob holder inside the glovebox have you attempted sticking the smart key fob in there and then attempting to start the vehicle?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
the pedal is stiff. I tried the fob and it still wouldn't start. Tries to turn over but no luck. The ACC and ON seem fine. Windows, AC, lights work okay too.

when you push the start button while on the brake it does nothing? no sound or click under the hood no dimming of dash lights? by trying the fob do you mean you inserted into the slot inside the glovebox or you tried to remote start it?

tries to turn over so it does crank normally or just clicks?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It cranked normally. I did insert the fob into the
glovebox. No luck. I did also try the remote start. I tried to put the car in neutral. The brake was still stiff. And the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I finally got frustrated and tried very hard to turn the wheel. And it worked! That seemed to unlock the wheel and the brake pedal and I was FINALLY able to start the car! Yay!

good for you glad to hear. were the wheels turned at all when the vehicle was shut off last? It may have locked the steering wheel like the old key style cars do when you turn the wheel a bit after removing the key.

If it does it again I would suggest maybe a brake switch being replaced, if it acts up again do the two tap on the key and hit the brake pedal to verify the brake lights work and make sure the shifter is fully in park. Good for you glad you figured it out.