Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Inside latch broken ..can't open hood, No, 2008 Sportage,

Customer Question

Inside latch broken ..can't open hood
JA: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2008 Sportage
JA: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Will as soon as I get home from work. My wife called to tell me that she pulled the hood latch and it copmes out all the way without releasing hood.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I need to get hood open to get battery charged. Can't drive to mechanic and don't want to pay the money to get towed to dealer
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

See if you can grab the cable on the hood latch handle with a vise grips and pull the cable this may work to open the hood if the cable is stretched.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,