Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

2009 KIA rondo turns over but does not start. Cleaned the

Customer Question

2009 KIA rondo turns over but does not start. Cleaned the Fuel Injectors, replaced fuel pump, new plugs, and new ignition coils still will not start
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: new fuel pump
JA: Are you fixing your Rondo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, cleaned Injectors, replaced fuel pump, new plugs, new ignition coils
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors, proper fuel pressure and good engine compression. Can you check each one of these things for me and post back with which one you are lacking and I will help you determine the cause .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
with the fuel rail out of the car I get fuel pulses, I removed the coil and have spark jumping approximately 3 inch to ground, the car suddenly would not start one morning before that ran just fine. after 20 minutes fuel line is still pressurized enough to spray gas when fuel line is removed.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay if you are sure you have good spark which is sounds like you do and the injectors are spraying then the next step would be to remove the spark plugs and run a compression test. Let me know the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i do not have the tools to complete this.
I would assume that the compression is fine as this happened when the car was parked overnight.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Well at this point its not a good idea to assume its okay, if you have good spark, injector pulse , proper fuel pressure and good compression then it should start. Compression at least needs to be verified to be sure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What are other causes that could be causing this.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What would cause the car to lose compression overnight when parked?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The common cause is usually a jumped timing belt. The compression test will verify if in fact that is the case.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How would a timing belt jump when the car is parked and off?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Usually if it has in fact jumped it would occur once you started craning the engine over. It can not jump with the engine off. A compression test is easy to do and would answer this.