Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

2007 kia sportage, metal clicking noise, seems like the

Customer Question

2007 kia sportage, metal clicking noise, seems like the water pump, timing belt may be loose, could the tensioner cause a metallic noise in the system? how could we test?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The best way to determine the soruce of the noise would be to remove the drive belt and then start the engine quickly and recheck for the noise. If the noise clears then take your hand and spin each pulley looking for any signs of roughness as well as any excessive play. This will help you determine which pulley is failing. Check this and post back with your results and we can work from there if need be.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any chance it can be the timing chain?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would any excessive play in the timing belt cause a metal clicking noise? Can't remove belt and still run engine
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Excessive play in the timing belt would not usually cause a clicking noise. Pulling the drive belt would help you determine if in fact that is the case. If the noise clears with the belt off then its likely one of the pulleys and or water pump.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do you run the engine without the timing belt attached?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Your not disconnecting the timing belt. You removing the drive belt for the water pump and accessories.