Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1

Kia is clicking every 30 seconds or so, From the engine

Customer Question

Kia is clicking every 30 seconds or so
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: From the engine compartment, for a couple of hours
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: Sedona 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: check the battery and currently have a charger on it. It sounds electrical so chances are the battery will be drained down.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ti happens when car is running and not running
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.

Another possibility is the variable valve timing system as this does rely on oil pressure to correctly synchronise your vvti pulley on the end of the camshaft. If the valve has become blocked up then its possible the pulley is rattling about and producing the noise.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of thescreen. Please do not forget! Thank you