Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

My daughter has a 2006 Kia Rio. The engine has cut off on

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2006 Kia Rio. The engine has cut off on her on a couple of occasions. It hasn't happened at higher speed. When it shuts off, the radio stays on. If she stops, puts it in park nad turns the key to off position then to start, the car fires up and drives.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: This happens when the car is moving.
JA: Are you fixing your Rio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: She is in California, and I'm in Minnesota. She's depending on a mechanic who wants to replace WAY too many things, at a cost of over a thousand dollars, on a car she paid $1300 for. I just want to be able to help her narrow this down.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello Mike, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Before you allow her to let this mechanic replace any part can you have her ask him to scan the computer system and see if there are any fault code setting . In any state beside California most part store would do a scan for her at no charge but unfortunately not in California. See if she can get get this done and post back with the results and I will help you with getting this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There were no codes.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

In most cases if the computer sees a fault the system will detect it and set and store a fault code and or codes. Can you have them recheck it to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nevermind, I think we've got it narrowed down.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay, Im here if need be.