Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

My car will not start. It turn over but acts as though it is

Customer Question

My car will not start. It turn over but acts as though it is not catching. I smell gas, could the fuel inertia switch may have been tripped, if so, how can it be reset and where is located exactly?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No, not a gas hog, it starts kind of slow then catch and is good to go.
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2004 kia sorento
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to but if too difficult somebody else will. Tired of takind it back to where I bought it from, wasting my money getting it fixed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is my only mode of transportation.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

How many miles do you have on this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About 212000 miles, most were on the car before I brought it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Ok

It sounds like the car is flooded. If you can smell gas then it's getting to much, if the spark plugs are old this could cause it to not start. Try holding the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine for 30 seconds, then stop and do it again. Try this 5-6 times and see if it starts.

Also, check the air filter, if it's really dirty it could cause this issue as well.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried holding the pedal down and cranking this didn't work, after letting it sit it seem to run the battery down. We tried to jump start it it didn't work, could it be the inertia fuel switch may have tripped, if so how and where can it be reset? It did this once before and the mechanic said someone had tripped the switch. Where can I find this switch exactly to see if this is the problem?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

This doesn't have any inertia switch on i that I am aware off. The only thing that stops the pump from running is lack of power to the fuel pump module. Or a bad cam or crank sensor, You have to check for spark