Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

The Sedona will start. Then it wont start. Then it will

Customer Question

The Sedona will start. Then it wont start. Then it will start then it wont.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: New battery, terminals are clean
JA: What year is your Sedona?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the battery and that's it. I don't think its the starter because when it does work, it sounds good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The check engine light was on, autozone diagnostic said the cam shaft sensor was bad and I replaced it.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hi im kevin does engine turn over when it doesnt start ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Ok any click from under bonnett?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no sir. The starter doesn't engage at all. No clicking nothing. But if you leave it for a while, it usually will start again. it took one day the last time. Three days the time before that. Then one day the time before that. Then it starts up like nothing every happened
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Ok we need to test at starter next time this occurrs do youhave voltmeter ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Can you see starter ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no I cant
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

ok what size engine do you have fitted ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It the LX six cylinder.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I really don't think its the starter. The starter makes no unusual noise when it starts. No drag, no clicking. It's got to be between the battery and the starter that is breaking down. I thought maybe the starter relay, or something in between. I know on some cars that the brake switch can cause this. I'm just not familiar with the KIA Sedona. It's my sons car.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

The test tells us weather the voltage is getting to starter or not but on your car this is not easy to access starter .il opt out see it another tech has any ideas

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Is it starting right now or not?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It broke down last night at the store and I had to go get my daughter in law and take all the kids home. This morning my son and his brother went to the store and the van started and he drove it home. Now it won't start again.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

Usually when you get no sounds from the starter at all the issue is in the neutral safety switch on the transmission. Try wiggling the shifter and dropping it down into neutral and see if it will start. If it does, then you will likely need either a new switch or an adjustment on the shift cable. This is the connection between the key and the starter that will completely prevent any power from getting to the starter.

Give it a try and let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok it would not start. However the starter relay is humming and it sounds like the contacts are arcing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

So you have rapid clicking going on here?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The starter is not clicking. The starter relay clicks twice and then it sounds like arcing coming from the relay. however the starter never does anything at all. no sound, no clicking.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

This could be the starter relay itself causing the issue. If you can, try swapping it with another one in the box to see if the same situation occurs. We are really just trying to get some action out of the starter. Some of these did have issues with the fuse/relay box under the hood. But let's try the relay first. Again, it may not start and that's fine, we just want to hear the starter come to life.

Please try this and let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok we took the fan/blower relay and swapped it with the starter relay and nothing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

Is the relay reacting the same way as the original?