sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My dashboard lights wont come on, either will the brake

Customer Question

My dashboard lights wont come on, either will the brake lights and my power door lock won't work
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I'm trying too. Can you tell me where the fuse box is located
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2004 Spectra
JA: Are you fixing your Spectra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't checked the fuses and all the auto mechanical asking me questions I don't understand
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No if I can see if it's just a fuse or bulb I can save some money
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sometimes they works, like when it's sunny and hot *summer time* they don't give me a problem. Now that it's getting cold they are acting up almost all the time.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You most likely have a combination of different issues causing the problems. The power locks for instance shouldn't be related to the light issues, and the two different light issues you're having may be due to separate causes.

It will most likely take some electrical testing to determine what you have going on but the first step will definitely be to check fuses. One fuse box is under the hood and the other in the left end of the dash. The brake lamp fuse is in the box in the dash so you'll definitely want to check fuses in both boxes.

If you find the fuses are good then it will take some electrical testing from that point to determine the causes of the issues.